Richard Paul Jodrell (1745-1831) purchased the house in 1804. The house remained in the Jodrell family for 85 years.
Jodrell was a poet, a dramatist, classicist and MP. After studying at Eton and Hertford College, Oxford, he was called to the bar at Lincoln’s Inn in 1771. He was a good friend of Samuel Johnson, and was the last surviving member of the Essex Head Club, an evening club set up by Johnson in 1783. He was a fellow of the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Antiquities, and as well as his Classical work, he was also a playwright and once had a play on Drury Lane, under patronage of the Ambassador of Persia.